December 1st, 2009 by dr.emi
This tutorial represents the second installment of a tutorial over at our friends PSDTUTSPLUS! In part one, we learned how to create this shiny chain from scratch in Photoshop. In this tutorial we’ll take that shiny new chain and weather, distress, and age it using layer styles, textures, and lighting effects to create our final result.
As a bonus, one lucky person will win a free Premium Membership to PSDTUTSPLUS by commenting on this tutorial!
So let’s get started!
Download this zip file. Contained within this file are the four files:
- chain.psd – a half-sized and flattened version of the PSDTUTS final product.
- rustpattern.png – a tile able pattern
- rust.,jpg – a rust texture image from ZENTEXTURES
- chain-final.psd – end result from this tutorial.
Open “chain.psd” and “rust.jpg” and leave “rustpattern.png” for later in the tutorial.
First we want to desatureate rust.jpg by pressing Cmd/Ctrl+U and moving the Saturation slider all the way to the left.
Drag rust.jpg into “chain.psd”, move it to the top most layer and name it, “top”.
Change the “top” layer’s “Blend Mode” to “Overlay”
Create 3 new layers and name them, “fx base”, ” fx top” and “fx bottom”
and move each one to just above it’s link counterpart as seen below.
Select the “fx base” layer and Cmd/Ctrl-click on “base link” to get a selection.
Change your foreground color to “333333?, fill the selection by pressing Opt/Alt+Del/Backspace and change this layer’s Blend Mode to “Multiply”.
Repeat this process with “fx top” and “fx bottom”. For layer “fx top”, Cmd/Ctrl-click on “top link”, fill with gray and change the Blend Mode to “Multiply”. Now do the same for “fx bottom”.
Let’s go back to layer, “top” and turn the “Blend Mode” back to normal.
What we’re going to do next is create a new “Channel” to use as a “bump map” for our Lighting Effects. We’ll get to that in a moment but first, open your “Channels” by going to Window > Channels.
Right-click any of the Red, Green or Blue Channels. and select, “Duplicate Channel…”. Name this new channel, “bump” and click back on the “RGB” channel.
Turn the “top” layer’s Blend Mode back to “Overlay”
Select the “fx base” layer and go to Filter > Render > Lighting Effects
Change the “texture Channel to “bump” and rotate your lighting to match the image below. (It doesn’t have to be perfect, just make sure the light source is coming from the top left) Click, “Ok”.
Select “fx top” and hit Cmd/Ctrl+F (repeat last filter) and do the same for “fx bottom”.
Next we’re going to create a texture pattern to give our chain some real depth. Open the third and final file of the previously downloaded zip file, “rustpattern.png”
Press Cmd/Ctrl+A to select all and go to Edit > Define Pattern… and press “Ok”.
We’ll go back to our “chain.psd” and select the “fx base” layer. Apply a “Bevel and Emboss” by Double-clicking on the “fx” icon at the bottom of your layers palette, or going to Layer > Layer Style > Bevel and Emboss…
Change the settings in the Bevel and Emboss dialog box to match the image below.
Select the “Texture” box and change the Scale to “30?, “Depth” to “9?, and in the “Pattern:” drop-down select the pattern we created in step 16. Leave the Layers Style dialog box open and move on to the next step.
In the Layer Style dialog box click on “Color Overlay” and chance the “Blend Mode” to “Linear Dodge (Add)” and change the color to “864719?.
The final Layer Style will be “Inner Glow” change these settings to match the image below with a color of “573f29? Now we can click “OK” and close Layer Styles
Apply this Layer Style to “fx top” and fx bottom” by right-clicking on “fx base” and selecting “Copy Layer Style”
Now paste this layer style on the other 2 layers by right-clicking and choosing “Paste layer Style”
Create a new layer above “fx base” layer as seen below and name it “shadows”. Press Cmd/Ctrl+Click on the “fx base” shape layer to get a selection.
Press Shift+M until we have our “Elliptical Marquee Tool”. We want to subtract a portion of this selection. Press and hold Opt/Alt. We can see that the minus sign is visible which tells us we’re going to subtract from this selection. Now simply drag your marquee on both sides of our original selection to subtract it from either side until you end up with a selection looking like the image below.
Press Shift+F6 or go to Select > Modify > Feather and feather our selection by 15 pixels.
To fill our feathered selection with black press “D” to get our foreground and background to their default state. Then press Opt/Alt+Delete/Backspace to fill with background, and deselect by pressing Cmd/Ctrl+D.
With the “shadows” layer selected, Cmd/Ctrl-click on the “fx base” layer to make a selection. Then go to Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal All to create a mask layer.
Fill the mask by pressing Cmd/Ctrl+Del/Backspace to fill with background, Cmd/Ctrl+I to invert, and then Cmd/Ctrl+D to deselect.
Change the Blend Mode to “Overlay”.
Click here to see the final result!
If you liked this tutorial, head over to PSDTUTSPLUS and check out part one where you will create the shiny chain elements that we started off with in this tutorial. An extensive tutorial employing several different styles and techniques that you’ll be able to use in other designs you create!
- One lucky person will win a Premium 6-Month Membership to PSDTUTSPLUS!
- Just post a comment about this tutorial below
- Contest ends on Monday December 7th (5pm EST).
The “rust.jpg” image comes from ZENTEXTURES and “rustpattern.png” was created from this texture as well.
Check out this other great tutorial over at Fuel Your Interface, “How To Use Textures (Better Than You Used To)”
Popularity: 31% [?]
Most Popular Posts
- Membuat Manajemen Hak Akses User dengan Codeigniter
- Interactive Ajax Data Management with Codeigniter
- Web Design Layout Plus Implementasi jQuery Tab Content
- Web Base Controller System with NirCMD
- Simple Swing Login Form And getText()
- Sony Ericsson Logo
- Advance Metalic Gloss Logo
- dreLogin v.2.0 Has Release
- Create a simple application to open an EXE file on the window with JAVA
- The Chain Tutorial from FuelYourCreativity
Flick Group dr.emi
dr.emi creative design
SEO Articles & Newsletters
- gaara: izin comot & copas......
- Mesin Absensi Sidik Jari: Terima kasih telah berbagi artikel yg menarik. Tetap semanga...
- dr.emi: @ita : sekarng harus hati hati kalo penelpon nya dari hp reg...
- ita: saya juga hampir saja kena tipu untung saya cancel pengir...
- dr.emi: @al-k CUHUMUND =))...
- Loka Dwiartara: biasa kang orang mah udah nge-judge duluan, itu karena orang...
- zir: weeeesss manteb....
- Surat buat Ibu Ani Bulat Bersinar dari Korban Sinabung
- TokoFinger.Com - Solusi JITU Karyawan Anda
- SEJARAH HIDUP PRESIDEN SOEKARNO
- Dibalik konspirasi para pecundang negeri ini terhadap ulama, ustadz, dan panutan islam lainnya
- "Rakyat adalah gudangnya gagasan, Pemimpin jangan sok pinter. Kita cuma eksekutor," itu kredo terbesar Jokowi.
- David Naista, web designer yang mewakili Indonesia pada "World Skill Competition" di Jerman
- LOWONGAN KERJA di DREMI SOLUSI INFORMATIKA
- JOKOWI: PEMIMPIN ADALAH KETEGASAN TANPA RAGU
- Muak dengan tingkah laku Ahmad Husein Alaydrus (DPRD dari Demokrat)
- BANDUNG: JALAN BERLOBANG, PARKIRAN DIMANA-MANA
3D illustration abstract design adsense aero button animation banner clean navigation codeigniter colouring layer CSS tutorials effect finger print glassy effect google gradient style GUI photoshop design hacker handcoded HTML indonesian culture IT job jQuery layer mask logo lombok lowongan kerja merancang web pen tool photo retouch photoshop design PHP PHP Advance PHP login php programmer product demo relationship search engine shapping spirit text effect web articles web design web development web header web layout web tips